Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Long Walk Home


“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” Robert Frost

”Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death, [a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4

The Long Walk Home

Before I was born You formed my feet in the womb
You knew the perfume of the flower to bloom.
When my little feet first hit the hard, cold ground
Unknown presence all around, angels resound.
Your spirit was with me coaxing me on
In the dawn, in the tickling grass on the lawn.
You ran with me to catch the firefly’s glow
Into the school I would know, backpack in tow.
In the first time I learned that kids could be cruel
The golden rule, the swimming pool, and every April fool’s
We continued our walk through the lessons of change
The mirror shortchanged, reflections seemed strange
That’s when I first learned You were there at my side,
No longer denied, I decide, catch up to Your stride
In high school we walked through the halls of rejection
In search of affection, always under inspection.
Once again, I felt alone in my walk,
Empty talk, round the clock, my stumbling block.
We walked out of the house in to the dorm
Tax forms, moral reform, philosophies swarm.
You were there when I first caught his glance,
His strong stance enchants, the dance of romance.
You too walked me down the aisle of pews
Pastels hues, cherished I do’s.
When happily ever after was only in fairy tales
Rocky trails, piles of bills, and endless details.
Walking through arguments where nobody wins
The “where have you been?”s, the living room spins
Then the news of our very first child
I smiled, eyes wild with the nursery styled.
Eighteen hours, you sat with me through the pain
But then she came, Unspeakable joy attained.
You waited with him while I put her above You
Motherhood so new, Priorities askew.
Then you showed us how to grow up together toward You
Renewed, we pursued a life of serving You.
You Word became a love letter on the bedside table,
No longer an ancient fable with a dusty label.
Now we search the pages with the questions of our life
Parenting strife, the in and outs of man and wife.
The road is still rocky, and problems still the same,
But You came, sins claimed, and took the blame.
On this long walk home, I know You are there
So I'll tell them--don’t despair, say a prayer, and we will meet Him up there.

No comments: