Thursday, June 23, 2005

Whittle Away

“Be confident in this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Christ.” Philippians 1:6


“The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight but no vision.” Helen Keller

Whittle Away


You push to form the masterpiece
I feel every finger press, every knuckle driven in
You carve to make the image more lucid
You cut off unnecessary parts
I can remember the lump from which I started
A shapeless, selfish mass
Trying uselessly to form my own shape
I had a certain silhouette in mind
But every move of your hand
Seemed to contradict this preconceived piece
But I am beginning to trust
I am beginning to see the vision
I know there will be more,
More stretching, more pulling,
More severing, more whittling down.
But Go ahead.
Compose an orginal.
Strike hard.
Break at will.
I am here, Lord
Whittle away . . .

No comments: