Monday, June 13, 2005

Missing Church

"You are members of God's very own family, citizens of God's country, and you belong in God's household with every other Christian." Ephesians 2:19b (LB)


For the first time in my life, I wish I was in church rather than on vacation! Far from home but close to family, I am facing a week of fun, stress-free activities and all I can think about is "Man, I wish I didn't have to miss church on Thursday and Sunday!" But I can stop and smile because I know what this really means . . . You answered my prayer. Thank you, Lord.


Missing Church

Church used to be a habit
A check on the "to do" list.
A routine carried out.
Something not really missed.
I always wanted to find You
But the pattern was too strong.
The services were too early
And the sermons were too long.
But I knew I wanted more
So I called out to You.
I wanted to go deeper,
Find worship that was true.
Relight a fire, a new start,
With my whole self,
Re-prioritize,
No more dusty bible on the shelf.
But I knew I couldn't do it alone.
And I was in the lurch
But today I have seen your answer!
I'm on vacation and missing church!
Not just "missing" it
As in I'm not actually there
But really missing church
And all Your people who care.
The music that brings me closer,
The messages that show me You,
Your word read like a love letter,
Your presence, rich and true.
The is the true paradise,
The secret Hideaway,
Perfect vacation spot
Luxury getaway.
People spend thousands
On packages, cruises, and tours
But all they really need
Is to walk in through Your doors!
Lord, as we seek rest
With relaxation as our goal
Help us remember your church
As simply the spa for the soul.

No comments: