Saturday, June 25, 2005

One Day's Confession

“I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,’ and You forgave the iniquity of my sin.” Psalm 32:1

“A man should never be ashamed to own he has been in the wrong, which is but saying, in other words, that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.” Jonathan Swift

One Day’s Confessions

I used to think I was fine
I didn’t murder, steal, or drink
I was such a “good girl”
At least that’s what I liked to think.
But the more I read Your word
The wiser I become
And more aware of my sins
From the rising to the setting sun.
I know you love me anyway
And look at my true heart
So I want to confess my sins to You
I wonder where I should start.
No time like the present
So I’ll begin with today.
I woke up with a headache
A bad mood right away.
I felt guilty for getting behind
In my quiet times with You
So I read and wrote some thoughts
About what I should do.
I was distracted by the bank account
And my constant financial worries
I knew my daughter would wake up soon.
I knew I had to hurry.
That’s how the rest of the day seemed
Rushing from here to there
Doing housework, running errands
Forgetting to show You I care.
Forgive me for my haste
Forgive me for my laziness
Forgive me for mixed priorities
Forgive me in the busyness.
My heart wants to serve
But my actions don’t always show
That I can put into practice
Your Word that I truly know
You, then my husband,
Then my daughter, then my home
Then my job and friendships
These priorities I have known.
But I put the job above You
I put her above him.
I worry over insignificants
Like how to be more slim.
Thank you for infinite chances
To prove myself once again
And thanks for loving me anyway
Even in my present sin.
Tomorrow when I wake up
Remind me of how You died
And openly pleaded guilty
To the sins I have denied.
I will lift my face toward You
And though I know I’ll drift
I will strive to be more like you
To thank you for this costly gift.
Lord, I thank you for tomorrow
And I thank you for yesterday
For tomorrow I will be wiser
Than I was today.

No comments: