Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Habit of Slippers

"Base your happiness on your hope in Christ. When trials come, endure them patiently; steadfastly maintain the habit of prayer." Romans 12:12

The Habit of Slippers

I'll need Your help on this one
I just want to panic, give in, give up,
Sigh, throw my hands up, roll my eyes
But, Lord, When everything seems wrong
Let me turn to You
A new habit of prayer, look in, look up
Breathe in your hidden presence
Like lavender and chamomile,
Or a warm bath, a comfy chair,
Like slippers,
Not too new, the perfect fit,
Portable pillows for my toes,
Just waiting
In the back of the closet,
Lord, Help me remember
How I can pull You in, keep You close,
Slip into the slippers of prayer.
Anytime, any place, anywhere.
Lord, help me remember
Your portable pillows for the soul . . .
Just waiting in the back of my mind.

No comments: