Monday, June 06, 2005

Cumulus Humanity

"Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;
let the sea resound, and all that is in it;
let the fields be jubilant and everything in them.
Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy;
they will sing before the Lord, for he comes,
he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
and the peoples in his truth."
Psalm 96:11-13

Cumulus Humanity

I lay in the plush green
Lost in endless possibilities of white

A narcissistic cupid aims his bow
At his mirror
Smirking slyly, thinking he's alone
Should I reveal my presence?

The skeleton of a fish tossed aside
Having played its part
Only to be unappreciated.
Should I chereish it?

A lonely traveler makes his way
Across a white desert
Dragging something . . . something important.
Would he share it with me?

A snake charmer lures gold coins
From the hands of small children.
Hands empty . . . eyes full of wonder
Stomachs empty . . . Hearts filled with delight
Should I demand a refund?

A huge cannon points to nowhere
Anticpated murder, ready to destroy
No one . . nothing
Should I disarm it?

A superhero shows off his biceps
While a helpless mother drowns
Saving her only child
Should I call 911?

Six basketball players
With six basketballs
Killing themselves to make the first basket
Identical jerseys reveal their shameful secret.
Should I keep it?

A cripple prays with a smile on his face
As a marathon runner
Takes the silver
-frowning
Should I open their eyes?

Children play marbles
With the boogie man
Who is surprisingly whitty.
Should I call their parents?

A gaunt, elderly man in a top hat
Spits fire at a tiny child with wings
Who only wants to make a friend
Should I do something?

A pale World War II pilot
Smile sproudly
Scarf blowing bravely in the wind
As his airplane burns to dust behind him.
Should I tell him?

Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer
Stroked gently by a middle aged woman
Distant eyes, wrinkled skin
Should I laugh or cry?

Two children dance in an embrace
One holds a little too tight
Should I stop them?

A lion eyes a demon
Licking his lips.
Do I offer a warning?

Lessons in white
Weigh heavy in my mind
Gradually my eyelids blanket them
Leaving my questions unanswered
Until my demanding world
Allows me to look up once more.


Lord, thank you
for knowing the answers for me,
taking care of the problems of the world for us,
and for judging so we don't have to.
I gladly give these cloud questions and all the others back up to You.
As my hands raise, I give thanks that Yours lower to carry the load.

No comments: