Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Other Cheek

"But I tell you hear me; Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, do not demand it back." Red-lettered Luke 6:27-30

The Other Cheek

When they cut me off in traffic
When the bill collector calls
When the neighbors get too loud
Can I choose to bless them all?
When they glare at my daughter
When the receptionist is rude
When the other teachers gossip
Can I keep a happy mood?
Lord, let me love them like You love them
Then it won't be so hard
To turn the other cheek
and not be on my guard.
I look in to the mirror
and see I'm just like them
Emotions ruling actions
They push and I will bend
Yet you choose to love me
Blessings I don't deserve
You gave your life for me
The least I can do is serve.
So I will fight a losing battle
To add some small bit of good
To this world full of evil
And not just because I "should."





No comments: