Sunday, July 17, 2005

Who Am I?

Who Am I?

All my life, I struggled with this question because I constantly compared my own identity with other people’s abilities, accomplishments, and expectations. But today I realized I have somehow gradually, silently grown out of it. What freedom, what a blessing! Maybe this is why I love teaching high school and ache for my students. I am experiencing the freedom on the other side, and it’s like they have chosen to stay in their cells. I will do my job of continuing to offer them the keys to freedom. Thank you, Lord, for showing me who I am!

“Since we find ourselves fashioned into all these excellently formed and marvelously functioning parts in Christ’s body, let’s just go ahead and be what we were meant to be.” Romans 12:5

“The words ‘I am” are potent words; be careful what you hitch them to . . . the thing you’re claiming has a way of reaching out and claiming you.” A.L. Kitselman


I am a Christ follower,
A truth swallower, a Word wallower.
I am a loving wife,
Even in the strife, having the time of my life.
I am a devoted mom,
I soothe and calm by kissing her palm.
I am a loyal friend,
On whom you can depend with a shoulder to lend.
I am a crazy teacher,
With a double feature of a modest preacher.
I am a dutiful daughter,
Like spring water, refreshing mother and father.
I am a music lover,
A singer undercover, for only God to discover.
I am a word-loving writer,
Not a flame that’s brighter, more like a pocket lighter.
I am a house keeper, light sleeper,
knowledge seeker, public speaker,
book reader, humble leader.
But I am nothing without You.

No comments: