Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Shape Sorter



“The people I have shaped for myself will broadcast my praises.” Isaiah 43:21


“You are the way you are because you were made for a specific ministry. . . He would not give you abilities, interests, talents, gifts personality, and life experiences unless He intended to use them for His glory.” Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life

Today I watched my two year old playing with her toy,
That box to sort shapes I bought for her to learn from and enjoy.
I remember the first attempts she made at an earlier stage,
Trying to push these colorful pieces into the plastic cage.
I’d have to be patient watching her shove the circle into a square.
I wanted to reach out, take over, and show her what goes where.
But I knew she needed to discover the truth by trying on her own
But it was difficult to watch her strain and to hear her grunt and groan.
She didn’t know which shape would work so she tried them one by one.
Persistently she worked and pushed until her search was done.
I’ll never forget the look on her face, the emotions behind her squeal.
Her relief, the triumph, and her delight was too much conceal.
Now she still enjoys her toy, but with new confidence.
She slides each piece in quickly, using her common sense.
She can even name them now and tell me how many sides.
She’ll point them out in road signs and billboards we see outside.
As I watched her with this toy today, I had a revelation.
I knew why there were times in life when you were quiet in my frustration.
You watched me search to find my niche, waiting year after year.
And I marvel at all my failed attempts before You led me here.
You wanted to see the look on my face, the accomplishment I’d feel,
When the relief, the triumph, and my delight would be too much to conceal.
Lord, thank you for my amazing church and the team on which I serve.
I only hope this shape slipping in will bring the glory You deserve.

No comments: