Sunday, July 31, 2005

Rocky Places

"The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy, But since he has no root, he last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away." Matthew 13: 20-21

Lord, save me from the rocky places
When the words of sunday sermons fade into Wednesdays
When listening ears feast, leaving nothing for the heart
When your Word is held only to slip through the fingers
When I promise to change only to change the promise
When I take the knowledge and leave the practice
When I smile at mention of Your love, yet frown at the slightest trouble
When the animal of routine attacks, and I cry beside the cage
Lord, save me from the rocky places
The soil of my soul too shallow
The will of my heart much too weak
So I give it all to You
Dig deeper
Break new ground
And plant anew.
And save me from the rocky places
So that I might weather the seasons to come.

No comments: