Thursday, July 07, 2005

Bare-Footed Tap Dancer

“And in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.” Romans 8:26


“Prayer is not getting the Lord’s attention, but allowing Him to lead us in praying for what He is more ready to give than we may be to ask.” Lloyd John Ogilvie


Bare-Footed Tap Dancer


I went in search of the perfect prayer
When I found I could rest, just knowing You’re there.
I never volunteer to pray in a crowd.
I’m always afraid of saying the wrong thing aloud.
I got straight A’s in school and always had the answers
But in prayer, I feel like a bare footed tap dancer.
But in my home, on my porch, wherever I find a minute
I close my eyes, search the silence, and find You in it.
I come to You in that moment, though my faith is weak
Chasing after peace, Your face is all I seek.
Too many “give me”s, “help me”s, “bless me”s
Have kept you at a distance when I fall to my knees.
I just want to see You, breathe deep, and take You in,
You already know my life, my needs, my joys, my sins.
So I will try being quiet, just waiting for You to show,
I will choose to be quiet, give in, give up, let go.
I was looking for a formula, directions, a road map,
But then I stopped to listen and there it was--tap, tap tap, tap.

No comments: