Saturday, July 23, 2005

Testing, Testing



"A refusal to correct is a refusal to love,
love your children by disciplining them." Proverbs 13: 24 (The Message)

"Some people regard discipline as a chore, but to me it is an order that sets me free to fly." Julie Andrews

Lord, be my guide through this period of testing and "terrific twos"
In the waiting, knowing we'll be late as she tries to tie her shoes
"No, I want to do it! Go away, I don't need your help!"
"I can do it on my own! I'm a big girl, I'll do it myself!"
She wants to run the show, be the boss, she's only two!
But I love her independence, it's just a little skewed.
But just when I seem to know what works, thinking I've taught her a lesson
She challenges us in a brand new way, leaving us with new questions.
She wants Blues Clues when it isn't on and the dress that's in the wash.
She wants the Disney Princess skirt when I give her Osh Kosh B'Gosh.
She wants to explore everything and never seems to stay by my side.
Her legs are speckled with bruises from running up the slide.
As much as I think it's cute, I get afraid she might run into danger.
After all, she'd gladly offer a hug to any approaching stranger.
As my mind swirls with this immense love and fear of her foolish choices
As I read the many discipline books by the leading modern voices
As I pull her face to look at me or put her in time out
As I watch her tears dive down her cheeks as her bottom lip juts out.
As I firmly draw the line that she continues to poke and prod
I realize how hard it must have been on You when I turned my back on You, God.
"No, I want to do it! Go away, I don't need your help!"
"I can do it on my own! I'm a big girl, I'll do it myself!
Just when You seem to know what works, thinking You taught me a lesson.
I challenge You in a brand new way, praying with stubborn questions.
Lord, now I know by testing You I was learning to be what you want me to be
Thank you Lord for this gentle reminder that my little girl is just like me.

No comments: