Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Hero and His Critic

"Sometimes as wives we are more inclined to concentrate on what our husbands are doing wrong than on what they are doing right. We are more aware of their deficiencies than areas where they excel . . . Remember that we vowed in our wedding ceremony "to love and to cherish till death do us part." Do we even understand what we promised to do? To cherish means to hold dear, to care for tenderly or to nurture, to cling fondly to or to treat as precious."
~ Carolyn Mahaney, Feminine Appeal

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Phil 4:8

The Hero and His Critic

I did it again
I fell into the trap
One little thing
And I'm ready to snap.
There's so much joy
So much blessing
Yet I'm complaining
About salad dressing.
My sinful quest for perfection
My worry of how things appear
Has oozed its way into my soul
And hurt the one most dear.
He is a hero
He is noble and true
Yet I huff and puff
When I trip over his shoe.
He fights for the family
Works his fingers to the bone
Yet I leave haughty messages
When he forgets his cell phone.
He tells me he loves me
And kisses my neck
Yet I sigh and remind him
He forgot to write the checks.
He is full of creativity
Dreams, goals and wishes
Yet I whine about socks on the floor
And those few left-out dishes.
He plays with our daughter
Dances around to make her laugh
Yet when I get home I point out
She didn't get her bath.
He has secret victories
Over pride, lust, and greed
Yet I grumble on
About my own selfish needs.
He chases after and schemes
Of ways to make me smile
Yet I continue to nitpick
And nag him all the while.
I know he is a great man
I know I'm so fortunate
But why don't I tell him?
Why don't I say it?
Why do I choose to focus
On this one percent?
When the other ninety-nine
Deserves acknowledgement?
Sure it isn't everyday
But why do I do this at all?
How do I look past his virtues
To spotlight his very few flaws?
Lord, save me from this pattern
With the guise of perfection
For this is nothing more than sin
And a powerful addiction.
Help me sober up
Change my heart, and let me see
My husband as you see Him
For in this I can finally be free.

No comments: