Sunday, May 22, 2005

Opposite Day

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." Romans 7:15

Teach me Lord to rest in you as I stuggle against the current and swim upstream in this world that feels like a world of opposites. Thank you for my small group that inspired me to write this poem.

Opposite Day
(August 2004)

Like Alice in Wonderland
Or a child on "Opposite Day"
My world is upside down
Inside out
Backwards
Paradoxical
I know nothing,
yet rely on my own wisdom.
You know everything,
yet I forget to ask for help.
You provide all I need,
yet I worry about even the little things.
I was made in your image,
yet I grit my teeth in traffic.
The television lies,
yet the remote is my companion.
You created me,
yet I search the mirror for imperfections.
Your Word is truth,
yet it waits for me on a shelf, littered with dust.
My flesh is selfish,
yet I caiter to its every whim.
The Spirit is righteous,
yet I don't turn off the noise to hear that "still, small voice."
Give me strength, Lord,
Peace
And Freedom
Freedom from Oppposite Day.

No comments: