Thursday, September 25, 2014

Life of the Party

Confetti days floor
forgotten delight, awaiting the broom

Wallflower days hide in a corner
clutching a cake-crumbed paper plate

Donkey days rear end
butt of the joke without a tail

PiƱata days swing high
sticking around to take a beating
then spill my guts
greedy grabbing for gossip
hoard, unwrap, savor

Balloon days float then deflate slowly
rise and fall,
tied down by puppet string

Streamer days twist and hang
Disposable, wrinkled, easily torn

Wrapping paper days rip open
crumpled then throw away

Oh to be that trick candle again
surprise delight
the child in all of us
as we gasp fully
exhale passionately
this life of breaths
unsnuffable

Re-light this spark within.


“I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am, I am, I am.” 
― Sylvia PlathThe Bell Jar


"Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being." Genesis 2:7