Thursday, May 15, 2008

Poker with Paul



I played Poker with Paul today
an argument of truth held concealed
in the hands we were dealt
and the thorns in our sides
Your word morphed into a pop-up book
a house of cards that will never fall
as I try to prepare for a weekend service
that reaches straight into my gushy gut
of insecurities
to face some secret uncertainties
just between me and You
Paul is almost as neurotic as me
so I peek into his love notes
that sound a little more like diary entries
All of us just kickin' back
and laying all the cards on the table
You have the best poker face
not the smug, cocky, I'm-gonna-get-you kind
just that look of
peace
that confidence I wish I could find,
less like poker
and more like Go Fish old school style
a simple card exchange from Your hand to mine
and suddenly I'd be a winner
and You just keep smiling that Poker face
pointing
at Paul and his ramblings
and waiting
until it sinks in
it's not about winning and losing at all
just a conversation with the guys
until it's time to stand up


"Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold." 2 Corinthians 3:12

"Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we're at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident." 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10

"So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well." 2 Corinthians 12: 15

"He is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful among you. For to be sure, he was crucified in weakness, yet he lives by God's power. Likewise, we are weak in him, yet by God's power we will live with him to serve you." 2 Corinthians 13: 3-4

"I dont know about you but when I asked God for a sign and there was a sign, I thought maybe it's a sign . . . . Jesus didn't say to his disciples, 'come and sit with me'. He said 'Come and follow me." Have you ever tried to follow someone sitting down? It's uncomfortable, and you get a rash!" Mark Beeson, "Town Hall Meeting" Sermon 5/12/2008


3 comments:

Sherry Ingle said...

I've found myself repeating "i can do ALL things through Christ who strenghens me...." under my breath many times the past two weeks!! I claiming the promise that ALL includes "dancing"???!!!

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I love the comment you left on my blog. Seriously that stone is a beast. I might break my neck if I tried to wear it as a necklace. Several Lifeline leaders were trying to get me to do the same thing. I'm two much of a wimp.

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

PS. Thanks for lying to me. You know I wouldn't have come if I knew what was going to happen.