Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lovin' Him in the Homonyms



it all started with a fumbling compliment . . .
"Cody: "You're really observable . . . uh, I mean observant." (sheepish grin) "well, you're pretty observable, too."
Me: (trying to play it cool, but screaming on the inside like a junior high girl at a boy band concert) "um, so how's your summer going?""

then You showed me we're the ultimate complement . . .
"Me: (first day of classes in the fall, highlighted schedule, map of campus, color coded folders and textbooks in tow) So when's your first class today?
Cody: (puzzled, suddenly realizing what day it was) I don't know.
Me: Didn't you get your schedule?
Cody: I was . . . just . . . gonna go. "

Thank You for giving me this
perfectly-prescribed man
who knows how to make me laugh after an MRI
coming out to me nervously shaking in my sticky seat
and announces to all in ear shot
(with a sigh) "Well, the good news is
I do have a brain."
who knows how to play Barbies
better than any other former fullback
who used to run over people like a train
then help them up and pat them on the back
who knows how to love me in silence
and look at me better than any chick flick ending
from that first compliment
to the ever-growing complement
thank You for every moment
of our 12 year
Homonym journey

"To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband." 1 Corinthians 7:10

"What a happy and holy fashion it is that those who love one another should rest on the same pillow." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

2 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I love you guys! Ask Cody if we can have another party at your house.

...greg smith said...

Both of you are blessed..:)