Monday, February 25, 2008

Liberty in the Lean Times



I used to be a fearful giver
like some pouting child told to clean up his room
who wonders what cartoon he might be missing
shoving things in a huff under the bed
and rushing his minimal efforts
but I love how You change me
now matter how much I resist
leading me to the freedom of a cheerful giver
like Mary Poppins snapping her fingers
with a bird singing in perfect harmony from the windowsill
or Polyanna skipping with basket in tow
leaving a breadcrumb trail of joy in her wake
but You and I both know
it's harder to lean when times are lean
You keep teaching me to love doing things that make no sense
in a world of nonsense under the guise of intellect
because every time I re-read Your red letters
you redefine common sense
and call me to lean on You
just a little more


"Ask yourself this week, which way am I leaning?"
Rob Wegner, "Livin' on a Prayer" sermon 2/23-24

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share." 1 Timothy 6:17-19

"There are many folks like you, Mackenzie, who end up locking themselves into a very small place with a monster that will ultimately betray them, that will not fill or deliver what they thought it would. Imprisoned with such a terror, they once again have the opportunity to return to me. The very treasure they trusted in will become their undoing . . .
Systems cannot provide you security, only I can . . . It's extremely hard to rescue someone unless they are willing to trust you . . . The whole thing is a process, not an event . . . All I want from you is to trust me with what little you can, and grow in loving people around you with the same love I share with you."
Papa: "Mack, I thought you might want this . . ."
Mack: "Can you keep it for me? All my best treasures are now hidden in You anyway . . ."

1 comment:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Thanks for today! Much needed quality time with a good friend. You are awesome!