Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Switch


2:31 a.m.
a full moon glows
as i continue to pretend to sleep
but my whirlpool mind just won't turn off
like an alarm with no snooze
a train whistle that never fades into the distance
a constant drip, but without the comfort of predictability
a repeated poke on the arm
this is the song that never ends . . . .
a day dream (night dream?) bubble appears above the bed
a cartoon switch where I can reach up
flip
and embrace the quiet of a restful night
many would misdiagnose it as anxiety
and I'll admit
it used to be endless worry
until You came in with Your word
and butterflied letters on a page into the truth of trust
now it's just me, my mind
and this swirling edie of ideas and randomness
the pressure to perform even in my sleep
the perfectionist equation of eight hours = normal
Paul had a thorn in his side
and I have a brain in my head
but maybe just
maybe
it's not such a curse
but a gift from You
and that's the real switch
-flip-


"The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace." Romans 8:6

"Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." Matthew 22:37

"Test me, O LORD, and try me,
examine my heart and my mind;
for your love is ever before me,
and I walk continually in your truth." Psalm 26:2-3

"But as for me, I will always have hope;
I will praise you more and more." Psalm 71:14

No comments: