Monday, August 20, 2007

First Day of School




Time flies when you're having fun, but it zooms when you have kids.

wasn't it yesterday that I felt the first kick
brought her home, place her in a crib,
and rediscovered my purpose
in this little 8lb 13 oz. package wrapped in pink
now with backpack in tow
she heads off to the halls of wisdom
so much I want her to learn
like beauty beyond Barbie
wisdom beyond Dr. Seuss
and the adventures of You in stories
yet so much I don't want her to learn
like shame and insecurity
the teeter totter game of comparison
in the playground for approval.
Lord, keep her naive as long as possible
and help me study for this parenting quiz
on Chapter 1: Letting go . . .

5 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I'm sure she was very excited to go to school. I want to have her in my class.

DC Curry said...

Don't you just LOVE the first day of school? I remember the good old days when all we had to worry about was whether or not we'd miss the bus! hahaha.

You rock buddy and I love that you're on the team now! You add so much!

Unknown said...

She is sooooo pretty!!!

Dan Vukmirovich said...

Glad you found the perfect place for that special girl of yours!

Mick Bright Kim said...

Hello How are you all?