Thursday, June 07, 2007

Home Sick





"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24: 16

I almost drowned today
in a pile of dust, dripping piant rollers, and mounds of wall paper scraps
see, the tape measure just isn't long enough
to tell us if we'll really measure up
in "My Country 'tis of Me, Sweet Land of vanity"
it gets hard to hear that still small voice
in the mowing, trimming, sawing, hammering, drilling
HGTV, DIY, TLC world of home improvement
whether keeping up with the Joneses or the Marthas
it all feels a little like that dream
where you're giving a speech in your underwear
like Alice after she stepped through the looking glass
or a constant elementary opposite Day
I wonder if the mother bird ever deals with rolling eyes
when all she wants to do is keep her children safe
When the lies begin to soak in and insecurity begins to bubble
You flood my mind with mission trip memories
and I swim for the surface to find the light of Your truth
the truth is
we are blessed beyond what we deserve
in the global insanity, we sit in the lap of luxury
our little girl now has a yard to play in
this mother bird only wants to create beauty to point people to You
wall color and drapes are just the background
the real vision is
family, neighbors,friends, a safe haven for all who need one
casual coffee conversations in a little nest by the river
that might bring them one step closer to You
and eternal life in the only real home we'll ever know
because maybe
we are all just a little
home sick.

3 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I'm excited you guys are getting close to moving into your new house. I bet you are excited too! We need to all hang out again. I had so much fun last time. Your daughter is a blast!

Michael Henson said...

Wow! I really love the blog. Very well said. The new home is very exciting! I'm am very much happy for you guys. Let me know when you want to have an open house and have a cook out.

Dan Vukmirovich said...

Awesome. Yes, the fun of home decoration. I'm glad you guys have a place to really call home. Counting the days until you get here!!!