Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day





Happy Father's Day, Abba
Thanks for the gentle fatherly advice throughout the day
the blanket of security as I stretched
and woke up to my three favorite guys
I kissed my husband on the cheek
and I took just a minute to watch him sleep
his chest rising and falling like the sun
and despite my back-seat driving
and hands on the hips questions
he is safety
I walked out to the living room and dad was on the couch
with his fishing shows
somethings never change
and as spontaneous as I like to be
it's comfort
a snapshot of my safety before the wedding bouquet
smiling, laughing, crumbs on the table breakfast and onto church
where the pastor reminds me that You are a generous Dad
he asks that we pick a fruit of the spirit
and ask You for more
I scroll the list, thanking You
remembering how You gave me back my joy
how you taught me faithfulness in college
how Lauren teaches me kindness every day
I land on "peace" and something catches
like someone pulling of a mask
it's funny how people tend to think I have it all together
not knowing the "what if" wasps that constantly swarm in my head
I scribble a secret prayer to You and stuff it in my purse
off to the new house to work
it's Father's Day
and my three favorite guys are still giving of themselves
dad doing what he can
painting in meticulous corners with his reading glasses
Cody moving from project to project
a man on a mission of building memories in a setting of beauty
and still taking a moment to take Lauren on the ride of her life
in a little red wagon
and You
giving me this day, these guys, this beautiful view
and a moment of tranquility
Happy Father's Day


"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23

"Which fruit of the spirit do you need to ask God to increase in your life?" Rob Wegner

"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." Romans 8:15

No comments: