Tuesday, May 29, 2007

So Long, Farewell...

Things I will not miss about teaching:
1. Grading essays! (I'd rather have bamboo shoots up my fingernails, but that wasn't in the job description.)
2. Adults who hate teenagers (This would be like me deciding to be a snake charmer. I don't like snakes, therefore, no weird flute and basket for me. Seriously, find a cubicle job . . . on a tropical island... or better yet,find a job that will make you truly happy! These kids have enough people yelling at them, they don't need to add you to their list.)
3. junk mail
4. my favorite question from the students; "Why do you always make us do stuff?", my second favorite: "Can we watch a movie today?"
5. e-mails with the subject line: "reminder"

Things I will miss terribly:
1. the kids (Lord, keep them safe, bless them with confidence, peace, and hope, and send them another teacher who might model Your love for them.)
2. those hidden smiles from under the "I'm too cool for school" looks
3. friendships with other teachers (sometimes just the silent looks of I don't know what to do with them either . . .)
4. the total unpredictability of day to day life with teenagers (like when Shardrieka was caught combing the hair of her imaginary friend Penelope)
5. holding on to the dream of bringing You back in the public schools
6. that "I can't believe I really just did that- I didn't think I could do that" look.
7. set building and design alongside the most artistic teenage minds in history
8. opening nights
9. cast parties
10. did I mention the kids?


As I say goodbye to an era and a dream,
my mind is spinning in the midst of peace.
Will they be okay?
Will I be a little voice in their head?
And then I remember that You were their biggest fan
long before they even entered my classroom
or stepped onto the stage.
So I will sigh, say so long, farewell,
and on Friday
lock my classroom door one last time.

“The most important thing is that I complete my mission, the work that the Lord Jesus gave me — to tell people the Good News about God's grace.” Acts 20:24

"But because God was so gracious, so very generous, here I am. And I'm not about to let his grace go to waste. Haven't I worked hard trying to do more than any of the others? Even then, my work didn't amount to all that much. It was God giving me the work to do, God giving me the energy to do it.” 1 Corinthians 15:10 (MSG)

1 comment:

Sherry Ingle said...

What a great influence you have been in the lives of your students, Kristen. You have planted many seeds...seeds that you may never see grow into gorgeous blooms. Rest assured that God has used you in a mighty way...and now has new plans to use you to impact others (kinda neat how that works, huh?)