Saturday, May 05, 2007

Chasing the Wind

like a road sign missed
or a slow moving antidote
I can't figure out exactly when
You helped me stop chasing the wind
when pursed lips and sighs through the nose
punched others like a timeclock
and the ship of reason tossed and turned
on the waves of the swirling sea of checklists
when measuring up and spiraling down
became the dance of sanity
and then You came along
just waiting to hear four simple words
four difficult words for most modern women
"I need Your help"
old habits die hard
but Your breeze blew in the window
the Martha Mary spectrum is changing
and the villian has been unveiled
like conversations suddenly heard
in a room with a crooked painting
playground visits can happen
even when the laundry isn't done
laughter comes before the joke
peace enters before a quiet moment
and love parades despite the weather of circumstance
and it's all because of You




"Perfectionism is a way of being in control; if I can control my environment, I can protect myself from pain and disappointment. Let God be God. He alone is perfect. It's one of the reasons why we worship Him and not ourselves. Artists who strive for perfection are chasing the wind." Rory Noland, The Heart of the Artist

"One of the most shocking contradictions in the American church is the intense dislike many disciples of Jesus have for themselves. They are more displeased with their own shortcomings that they would ever dream of being with someone else's . They are sick of their own mediocrity and disgusted by their own inconsistency." Brennan Manning, Abba's Child

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on, to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." Phil 3:12


No comments: