Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Just Call Triple A

"Be careful! When you do good things, don't do them in front of people to be seen by them. If you do that, you will have no reward from your father in heaven . . . When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites. They love to stand in the synagogues and on the street corners and pray so people will hear them . . . your giving should be done in secret. Your father can see what is done in secret, and he will reward you." Matthew 6: 1a, 5a, and 4

"Those who suffer from the 'Disease to Please' . . . feel the uncontrollable need for the elusive approval of others like an addictive pull." Dr. Harriet B. Braiker

My name is Kristin Baker, and I am an approval addict . . .
As a child, I thrived on attention,
living my life for the next fix
which was somewhere between
"Aww . . . she's adorable!"
And
"She's only how old?"
As a teenager, I played the comparison game
when B's were failures
perfection was just another pound away
and theatre was relief
because I got to be anyone but myself
even just for a moment.
For there was always a curtain call . . .
But if Shakespeare was right and
"all the world's a stage",
then who will applaud?
The pattern monster is alive and kicking,
But You are stronger, Lord.
Help me to live for an audience of One,
For the applause comes only after the entire play is finished.
but with You, the end is only the beginning . . .


"Welcome to Approval Addicts Anonymous"
I've been sober for, uh, two minutes . . .
is that good?

1 comment:

Kristin Baker said...

Thanks, Rob!