Saturday, November 08, 2008

Michelangelo University




It started with a whisper on a jog
like wind blowing the twirling leaves down
to crunch under my nikes
something misty that became palpable.
It grew into a calling
like a quiet familiar song I strained to recognize
an investigation,
like that new project that feels more like a dream
and the disappointment
of what felt like a boat of adventure floating out to sea
and I'm left standing on the shore in the same hot sand
I gave up for a bit in the paralysis of a beautiful letdown
and a few mood swings, meaningless complaints,
exaggerated breakdowns in my gummy girlishness.
Then along came a hutzpah that wouldn't let me give up
like that teeth-gritting jaw clench in the last stretch
Then that final nudge from You
When you can't afford to go to seminary,
just bring the seminary to you . . .
Because every single day
I just want to look a little less like the mess of me
and a little more like the mysteries of You.





"When the great sculptor Michelangelo was asked how he created his masterpiece David, he replied that he just chipped away everything that didn't look like David. Simple as that. And that's what God does in your life. He chips away at everything in your character that doesn't look like Jesus Christ--all the character faults and flaws--because His plan is to perfect you in the image of His Son."
Kerry Shook, One Month to Live



(Setting: Living Room University)
Lauren: Is that the Bible?
Me: Nope, just a book I'm reading.
Lauren: Wow, that's a big book, Mom. They're not kidding.
Me: (holding back a chuckle) Yep.
Lauren: What's it about? Can I read it?
Me: It's about God, and sure. (patting the couch)
Lauren: (reading slowly, sounding it out) "We will never-- in this life, at least--understand God fully . . . " What does that mean?
Me: Well, it means we'll never really know how cool God really is until we get to heaven. But it's still fun to try. What do you think about that?
Lauren: Cool. (skips off to play Barbies as if to say. "Ok, YOU read that ginarmous book. I'm outta here.")



"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." Mark 12:30



"The word of God can be in the mind without being in the heart; but it cannot be in the heart without first being in the mind." R.C. Sproul



"God has put enough into the world to make faith in him a most reasonable thing, and he has left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason and observation alone." Ravi Zacharias



"Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?" Job 11:7


"It was a beautiful letdown
When You found me here
Yeah, for once in a rare blue moon
I see everything clear
I'll be a beautiful letdown
That's what I'll forever be
And though it may cost my soul
I'll sing for free"
"Beautiful Letdown" song by Switchfoot

5 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Let's go to seminary together. How do you feel about moving to Pasadena? We could go to Fuller together!!

Kristin Baker said...

Ooh, we'd be like the Thelma and Louise of theology! Let's do it! : )

Dan Vukmirovich said...

Okay, pack along your Fried Green Tomatoes with a side of I Love Lucy! Seriously, love your heart in this. You are a strong woman of God, Kristin. Keep it up. Study is certainly a pathway for you. Continue to use it for His glory.

MAAZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jonathan said...

I was doing a search on the Quote by Sproul, "The Word of God can be in the mind without being in the heart; but it cannot be in the heart without first being in the mind," just to see if I was quoting it correctly; I am inserting it into one of my theology papers for Bible school. As a result, I found your page! And guess what? We both got the same quote from the same book, "Portable Seminary"! haha. How cool is that?

Anyway, it looks like you love the Lord. Hope your studies in Him will draw you closer to Him, causing you to WORSHIP Him!

I'll be back!

- Jonathan J.