Friday, February 09, 2007

Cheerleading for a Lion Chaser


"Maybe Christ was more dangerous and uncivilized than our Sunday school flannelgraphs protrayed. Maybe God is raising up a generation of lion chasers." Mark Batterson, In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day

"Benaiah son of Jehoiada was a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, who performed great exploits. He struck down two of Moab's best men. He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion." 2 Samuel 23:20

GIVE ME A "C"!
pom poms shake as I peer down in the pit
afraid to look, jaw clenched like a vice grip
the roar is deafening, but it's not the crowd
I imagine the victory before it is true
I see my husband's hand reach up from the snowy horizon
every ounce of reason would see the massive paw
GIVE ME AN "O"!
I can see my breath in the cold
and feel my toes going numb
but one ring of gold on that hand,
an I do ten years ago,
and a love I daydreamed of in junior high
brings me to the pit, pom poms in hand
dancing to stay warm,
GIVE ME A "D"!
tonight was a wound, a deep cut,
I heard him yell and the claw tear his flesh
and no matter how loud I cheer
the pain is louder in his mind
He is chasing and fighting this Lion for You
give him strength when he is wounded
help him imagine the victory as I do
the devil is whispering with voices of the past
flashbacks of fumbles on the goal line,
men he admires that he let down,
GIVE ME A "Y"!
swell the music, give him visions of triumph,
images of our daughter, peace to hear my voice,
provide strength when my cheers aren't enough,
his mind is buried in his weaknesses like falling snow
grab a shovel with me
his heart is waning from a failure he tried to prevent
like a crash he could see coming
just a split second too late in the swerve
we can't turn back time in Your disguised blessing of free will
But we can finish the cheer together
WHAT'S THAT SPELL?
VICTORY!

1 comment:

Kristin Baker said...

i'm right behind you cheering for him too! God will provide.