Thursday, April 20, 2006

Poison Control

"So when you offer your gift to God at the altar, and you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there at the altar. Go and make peace with that person." (Matthew 5:23)

"Not forgiving someone is like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die." Rob Wegner

I'll be brief tonight, Lord.
I give You "the Posse"
Those credit card, hoop-earringed,
horse on the shirt, country club,
convertible girls in high school
that called me under the influence on saturday nights
Inventing colorful, new names
for my goody two shoes existence
yet smiled at me in class on Monday
And asked me where I bought my Goodwill pants.
I didn't even know they still resided in my memory
Until a sermon on forgiveness
pulled out a dusty file in the back
I could see thier faces and silhouettes of speed-boat bikinis
with their pedicured feet propped up by beer bottles
as they read Vogue and discuss the latest 90210 episode.
So I give them to You, Lord
At seventeen and twenty-seven,
I pray You love them
as beautifully and deeply
as you've loved me--goodwill pants and all.
And Thank you for reminding me
of the importance of poison control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you 27 now? Wow... I guess you are... haha... I guess it has been a few years... I still had it in my mind that you are like 23!
It's funny that you wrote about this, and that I just read it because I was thinking about this same thing earlier, about how those that were mean to be back in high school (actually just one girl in particular... okay, so maybe 2 or 3 but I was only thinking of one). Well anyway, I was just thinking about it and thinking how it didn't even matter to me anymore and how I'd forgiven them and not even realized it.
In all honesty, I think I have more trouble forgiving myself for things than forgiving others for things. You touched on that in your next poem as well.
Well, back to writing a novelette for me! I have to get it finished by 5:00 Wednesday! Thanks for giving me something good to read during my little break! =) You rock! Ahh, I miss you so much! And I love you tons! Just thought I'd let you know...