Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Weighting Game

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his very self?" Luke 9:25

The crowd falls to a low murmer as I take the court
Who signed me up to play this sport?
In center court, a scale waits for me
Like an evil nemesis with a master key.
Candy wrappers rustle in the stands
No, that was pompoms in cheerleader hands
"Mirror, mirror on the wall!
Show me thighs that are getting small!
Fat rolls, stretch marks, cellulite!
You can do it! Go! Win! Fight!
Low carb, low fat, Zone, South Beach!
Bariatric, medicinal leach!
Yoga, Pilates, Step, Tae Bo!
You can do it! Fight! Win! Go!
Whatever it takes to look your best!
You're much fatter than all the rest!
You'd be just perfect if you could be thin!
You can do it! Go! Fight! Win!"
Lord, I'm tired of eratic training
Teeter totter, losing and gaining
Say yes to this, Say no to that
Eyes shift, will they think I'm fat?
Suck in, hide it with baggy clothes,
Dodge the camera, so no one knows.
Standing on the sidelines, take a deep breath
The game of comparison only ends in death.
I walk out of the gym as the crowd stays in shock.
Just take stroll around the block.
I talk to You and feel the wind shifting
Thanks for redefining the word:
"weight lifting"

No comments: